Robert Milani, Senior Landscape Architect, Bertog Landscape Co.
Bertog Landscape Co.
Bringing Visions to Lifestyle
What are some things we can be carrying out now to guarantee our valuable trees and shrubs enter winter season in the ideal health feasible?
Mid- to late-drop and early winter season are when trees and shrubs are actively rising their roots – so there are important things that homeowners can do to assure a healthier financial commitment. First, just mainly because temperatures could be cooling doesn’t signify you ought to cease watering. Tree roots carry on to require that important moisture as they prepare for winter. H2o correct up right until the very first tough freeze.
- Mulch shade, decorative and fruit trees with shredded hardwood mulch and implement the mineral gypsum to tree roots that are in close proximity to salt spray from snow removal.
- Use an anti-desiccant to sensitive evergreens and a short while ago put in evergreen trees and shrubs like arborvitae, boxwood, willow or holly.
- Prune, remove and dispose of dead and dying branches from non-flowering trees and shrubs owing to insect damage or sickness.
- Apply a 16-16-16 all-intent, gradual-release granular fertilizer to tree roots prior to the to start with snow.
- Utilize yard compost and mineral gypsum close to tree roots now to strengthen soil fertility and drainage.
- Wrap freshly planted and sensitive trees with 4-inch tree burlap for winter defense. This assists retain them safe from deer and rodent damage and stops barks from cracking in frost temperatures.
Suggest a Correction